Sunday, July 08, 2007

Sowing Seeds to Succeed

(The Garden Sonnet)

A serious gardener, I like to think that I
   Have faith enough to trust in Power Divine
To bring a fruitful end to most of my
   Attempts to grow a veggie, tree or vine.

Likewise, I tell myself that through my years
   Of teaching, writing, mentoring and speaking,
I have assisted person, lives, careers,
   And helped some students reach some goals worth seeking.

I plant the seed, with hope that it will grow,
   Producing fruit that's wonderful to see;
I plan with faith, and faithfully I know
   The sweetest fruit is called Sweet Charity.

The harvest that comes forth from class or sod
Is all the proof I need that there's a God.


By William "Bill" Carroll
First published in The Virginian Pilot, 09/14/2003.
Subsequently published in The New Journal and Guide, 2004.

Copyright 2003 by Bill Carroll.
All rights reserved.
Reproduced by Poetry 360 with permission of the author.


   

No comments: